[Samba] Changing complex passwords on a Windows Box

Ljunghammar, Darryl K Darryl.K.Ljunghammar at boeing.com
Thu Sep 8 14:06:06 GMT 2005

Hi,

I would like to be able to have a user change their password on their
windows box using the "ctrl-alt-del"/"change password" sequence and
require them to conform to the requirements of a complex password from
the Unix side. On the Unix side I am able to setup PAM with the rules to
require strong passwords which are enforced by the "passwd" command but
"smbpasswd" does not enforce them. This, also, does not affect the
Windows client. The complex passwords available on the native windows
side are not adequate for my environment.

I am running RedHat AS 3.0u3 (samba-3.0.6-2.3E) and using LDAP as the
backend database.
I use pam_passwdqc.so and I have also tried pam_cracklib.so in
/etc/pam.d/system-auth.

Has anyone setup Samba to be able to enforce complex password rules
defined in Unix on Windows clients?

Thanks,

Darryl