AW: [Samba] max concurrent CIFS connections

Pseudomizer Pseudomizer at LoveTalks.de
Thu Sep 8 08:29:55 GMT 2005

Hello,

Thanks for all the answers. So my assumption was correct that there is no
limitation or patent violation.

After reading all these performance numbers I would like to ask if someone
would be willing to share their hardware information for any installation
with more then 10.000 concurrent users having their home drive and their
project drive on the samba server?

Are there any installations out there or should we go for 2 servers with a
limit of 7.000 users per samba server?

Our servers have a single 2.8Ghz processor with 4GB memory running Debian
3.0. Can we leverage these servers or should we go for a multi CPU machine
with more memory?

Does a multi CPU mainboard help at all?

For the backend we are thinking of a fibre channel JBOD which is already in
place for our SQL and Exchange servers.

So my current problem is that we have to get rid of our old NT4 machines.
One server vendor offers HP WSS server and tells us that 15.000 concurrent
users are no problem at all on a 2 CPU machine with 8GB of memory. Really?

On the other side a company called Network Appliance want to offer us a NAS
head. I haven't seen any pricing yet but they asked me if these 15.000 users
are concurrent or streaming?

In addition HP and Network appliance told me that they can offer MMC plugins
for the NAS heads. Does samba provide any kind of MMC plugin?

My assumption: Every user having his windows profile on the server will have
a session open. Each CIFS session does not imply to be a stream. They can be
idle or they can be streaming. If many of them stream simultaneously then
they are concurrent users. Right?

I really appreciate all the responses here. They help me a lot. I am now in
the difficult situation to have to find the best and as usual the cheapest
solution for our management.

I like the samba approach but I have to create a matrix now between all
these solutions. Currently I am a little bit lost but I will try my best
here.

P.S.: If all my questions are too heavy for this dlist please tell me. I am
just trying to solve my problem. Any guidance is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Pseudomizer