[Samba] Mac OS X 10.4.1 hangs when attempting to browse a Linux Samba Server

Douglas Vechinski douglas.vechinski at dynetics.com
Wed Sep 7 18:13:06 GMT 2005

I have a Mandrake 8.1 machine that I recently installed  Samba 3.0.14a
on.  Trying to connect to this machine from a Mac with Mac OS 10.4.1
causes OS X Finder to hang, and puts these errors in the samba server logs:

[2005/09/06 14:57:57, 0] rpc_parse/parse_prs.c:prs_mem_get(536)
  prs_mem_get: reading data of size 2 would overrun buffer.
[2005/09/06 14:57:57, 0] rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_pipe_bind_req(919)
  api_pipe_bind_req: unable to unmarshall RPC_HDR_RB struct.

Prior to this I had no problems connecting with the privious samba
server of 2.0.2.  I had found one related reference that mentioned
something about password encryption must be turned on.  This already is
the case on the Linux Box.    I am able to manually mount a share as
long as I know the specific name of the share.  But when attempting to
browse for it, it  gets hung up.

Does anyone know what the problem may be or how to fix it.