[Samba] Samba Printing Extremely Slow from Windows XP

david rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Tue Sep 6 15:16:50 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cabbar Duzayak" <cabbar at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I have setup samba server on my linux box (Fedora Core 4 with latest
> samba, just updated via RHN) and has configured file sharing via samba
> for this server and connecting to it from my windows xp box. So far,
> everything works fine and it is very fast.
>
> Then, I configured a printer, and shared it via samba. And, I can
> see+connect to it from Windows XP and can even print. But, everything
> related to printing is extreemeeely slow on Windows XP, i.e. open
> notepad -> File Menu->Print, and at that point notepad just freezes
> for couple of minutes, and then brings the printer dialog... Send a
> print out, it just freezes for a while, then prints out fine.
>
> Below is the log file I am getting from Samba, and for some reason it
> tries to connect to the samba server on Windows XP??? Have no idea
> what this means, and how I can fix this. Can you please provide any
> suggestions?

Cabbar,

    I am seeing the exact same problem. It first started seeing the problem
after moving to 3.0.20a. I have 3.0.20a running on SuSE 9.0 and I have the
exact printer problems you describe. I am also running 3.0.13 on Mdk 2005LE
and I have *no* problems at all. That pretty much eliminates the problem
being the latest xp patch since I connect with a laptop on both systems and
I can print fine under 3.0.13, but I have major slowness with printing under
3.0.20. Ethereal shows some looping that seems to be caused by DCERPC error
in the communicatons. Since Bartlett did his thesis on DCERPC, maybe he can
shed some light on the issue.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC