[Samba] Cannot print PDF-Files...

Stefan Froehlich samba at Froehlich.Priv.at
Tue Sep 6 08:13:20 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have a network with a Server running 3.0.14 (Debian sarge), which is
doing quite fine as a PDC and as a printer server (using cups). Almost.

Printing is working, I can print Windows test pages, I can print
from several applications, including MS office. But I cannot print
over the network from Acrobat Reader, not at all. If a network
printer is selected and used, than _nothing_ happens, not even
network traffic (but local printing works quite fine from Acrobat
Reader as well) . Has anyone experienced a similar problem? I don't
even know where I should start looking at...

The Windows machines use the "Digital turbo Printserver 20" printer
driver, as recommended somewhere in a HOWTO, and cups takes care of
the rest.

smb.conf is included (though most likely not really useful), if you need
some other information, please tell.

Regards,

Stefan

[global]
ldap admin dn = "ou=samba,dc=lise-meitner,dc=at"
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap.meitner.priv
ldap passwd sync = yes
ldap delete dn = no
ldap ssl = off
ldap user suffix = ou=People
# ldap group suffix = ou=Group
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
ldap suffix = dc=lise-meitner,dc=at
ldap filter = (&(uid=%u)(objectclass=sambaSamAccount))

lanman auth = no
ntlm auth = yes
client NTLMv2 auth = yes
client lanman auth = no

utmp = yes
utmp directory = /var/log/samba/
wtmp directory = /var/log/samba/

private dir = /var/lib/samba
# workgroup = MEITNER
server string = Lise-Meitner Fileservice
netbios aliases = BERTHA SCHUELER LEHRER DIREKTION
display charset = ISO8859-15
unix charset = ISO8859-15
dos charset = CP850
#log file = /var/log/samba/log.%L
log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
log level = 1
# log level = 3
# log level = 100
# include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%L

netbios name = BERTHA
workgroup = MEITNER
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = 10.10.0.8
smb ports = 139 445

time server = true

# some defaults
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
deadtime = 15

hosts allow = 10. 127.

security = user

socket options = TCP_NODELAY

os level = 255
preferred master = yes
local master = yes

domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
share modes = no
admin users = +domadm

logon path = \\bertha\profiles\%u
logon drive = p:
logon script = start.bat
logon home = \\bertha\%u

wins support = yes

dns proxy = yes
encrypt passwords = true
password level = 0
null passwords = no
map to guest = bad user
dead time = 0
nt acl support = no

printcap name = CUPS
printing = cups
printer admin = +domadm
show add printer wizard = No

[printers]
comment = Druckerspooler
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = yes
printable = yes
browseable = no
# surf-stations duerfen nicht drucken
hosts deny = 10.100.100.

[ovid]
comment = Sekretariatsdrucker
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = no
printable = yes
browseable = yes
valid users = +Administration +Sekretariat +domadm

[LaserJet]
comment = Garderobendrucker
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = no
printable = yes
browseable = yes
valid users = +Lehrer +Administration +Sekretariat +domadm

[Kleopatra]
comment = Konferenzzimmer-Drucker
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = no
printable = yes
browseable = yes
valid users = +Lehrer +Administration +Sekretariat +domadm

[print$]
comment = Druckertreiber
path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
browseable = yes