[Samba] BAD SIG, findsmb lists nothing, all share files hidden

Ed Tenn edtenn at prodigy.net
Mon Sep 5 11:01:12 GMT 2005

Three PCs but four environments (Fedora Core 3 and SuSE 9.2 are
installed on the same hard drive, use Fedora's GRUB as a common boot
partition and native partitions for each respective distribution), on
each 'rpm -qa | grep samba' returns:

Red Hat 9 (client)
	samba-3.0.14a-1

Fedora Core 3 (server)
	samba-common-3.0.14a-1
	samba-3.0.14a-1
	samba-swat-3.0.14a-1
	samba-client-3.0.14a-1

SuSE 8.2 (server)
	samba3-client-3.0.14a-1
	samba-doc-2.2.7a-58
	samba3-3.0.14a-1
	samba3-vscan-0.3.6-1
	samba3-winbind-3.0.14a-1
	samba-doc-3.0.14a-4.1

SuSE 9.2 (server)
	samba-client-3.0.20-0.1
	yast2-samba-client-2.10.5-2.1
	yast2-samba-server-2.10.7-3.1
	samba-3.0.20-0.1

I copied the following smb.conf to all servers (dhcp.conf doesn't
exist):

[global]
	workgroup = TESTING
	client schannel = Yes
	server schannel = Yes
	password server =
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	unix password sync = Yes
	lanman auth = No
	ntlm auth = No
	client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
	client lanman auth = No
	client plaintext auth = No
	min protocol = LANMAN2
	server signing = disabled
	printcap cache time = 750
	printcap name = cups
	logon path =
	logon home =
	ldap ssl = no
	printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
	map acl inherit = Yes
	cups options = raw
	hide special files = Yes
	hide unreadable = Yes
	include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
	wide links = No
	follow symlinks = No
	browseable = No
	preferred master = Yes

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
# Path parameter not given so that the default will be the passwd file
value
	valid users = %S
	read only = No
	inherit acls = Yes
	inherit permissions = Yes
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/tmp
	create mask = 0600
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[testdept]
	path = /sambatst/testdept
	read only = No
	inherit acls = Yes
	inherit permissions = Yes
	browseable = Yes

[public]
	path= /sambatst/public
	readonly = Yes
	guest ok = Yes
	guest account = public
	browseable = Yes

I ran the following script on all three servers (removing the -n from
useradd for the SuSE servers since that is a Red Hat specific switch):

cd /
mkdir /sambatst
mkdir /sambatst/testdept
mkdir /sambatst/public
cd /sambatst
groupadd testdept
useradd -g testdept -p Testsmb -n test
chown :testdept testdept
chown nobody:nobody public
chmod 770 testdept
chmod 544 public
smbpasswd -a test
cd testdept
cp /etc/samba/smb.conf .
chown test:testdept smb.conf

(Yes, I published the password, I'm on a home network not connected to
the Internet.  I did set the smbpasswd to the same as the linux
password)

I ran the following script from /mnt (I made it a script for
consistency) supplying the ending octet for the server.  The line does
end with a newline, 'samba' is no the same line as 'mount' and
/mnt/sambadoes exist.

mount -t smbfs -o username=test,password=Testsmb //10.12.14.$1/testdept
samba

Three issues:

When I set 'server signing' to 'auto' I get either messages spewing on a
terminal screen or hangs and the server log has bunches of "BAD SIG"
messages.  Doing Ctrl-C on the mount stops the hang and BAD SIG messages
(have to kill the process to stop the spewing).  The share shows to be
mounted but attempting access produces another hang.  When I set it to
disabled this is avoided.

On SuSE 8.2 I type '/etc/init.d/smb start' and '/etc/init.d/nmb start'
to start the server.  However, 'findsmb' never returns the information
on this server (this is a single subnet on a hub).  When I do the same
thing on SuSE 9.2 (admittedly using a later Samba version) the listing
shows up.  It also shows up on Fedora Core 3.

The 'mount ...' script above (run as root from tty2 without X in all
cases) hangs.  I have to Ctrl-C to get out of it.  Furthermore, on
Fedora Core 3 the mount takes place but the files in the share are
hidden (remember, I ran the same script on all three to create the
environment.  I had already added root to the smbpasswd file prior to
this in all cases).  Below are the results (client is Red Hat 9 in all
cases, I created 'demofile' on the fly to make what was happening
clear.):

Fedora Core 3 (although the files are hidden, I created a new directory
on the share and also a file in that directory and then 'cat'ed the new
file just fine but I couldn't get a directory listing).

bash-2.05b# mount
/dev/hda5 on / type ext3 (rw,usrquota,grpquota)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
//10.12.14.21/testdept on /mnt/samba type smbfs (0)

bash-2.05b# ls -al /mnt/samba
total 8
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         4096 Sep  3 20:41 .
drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root         4096 Sep  4 01:19 ..

bash-2.05b# cat /mnt/samba/demofile
This is a file to show that contents are here.

On SuSE 8.2 the result is (although not documented, i got the same
result on SuSE 9.2):

bash-2.05b# mount
/dev/hda5 on / type ext3 (rw,usrquota,grpquota)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
//10.12.14.4/testdept on /mnt/samba type smbfs (0)

-bash-2.05b# ls -al /mnt/samba
total 10
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         4096 Sep  3 20:45 .
drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root         4096 Sep  4 01:22 ..
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           47 Sep  3 20:45 demofile
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1209 Sep  3 20:20 smb.conf

-bash-2.05b# cat /mnt/samba/demofile
This is a file to show that contents are here.

Any help on any of these three problems would be appreciated.  Thanks.
If you need more information then make the request to the mailing list.
I took the advice on this site and am using a mail account which is a
junk mail catch all (not my main email account).