[Samba] slow logons - DNS problem?

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Mon Sep 5 10:10:43 GMT 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I'm using roaming profiles, and to logon, it often takes one-two minutes
> or so on a 100 Mbit network (no traffic), with profiles as small as 2-5 MB.
>
> Clients are Windows XP SP2 machines, Samba versions 3.0.11 and 3.0.14a
> (deiifernt networks).
>
> Can it be a DNS problem?

I would use a packet sniffer between the XP machine
and the rest of the network. Then you can see if there
are delays in the network traffic.

If DNS hangs, you could try and see if your XP is set
to register the address with DNS (check TCP/IP
properties, advanced, DNS). Try disabling this.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk