[Samba] newb question

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 2 19:16:55 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 12:06 -0700, abid dar wrote:
> Thanks for writing back.  There is a user bill on the
> system.  Im logged in as root so if I do:
> root at machine# ./smbpasswd bill
> it gives the same error message
>
> in the smb.conf is says go to
> /var/log/samba/log.userip however the directory that
> gets updated is /usr/local/samba/var/log.smbd.
> (although I dont see the users trying to connect).
>
> I would assume when starting the deamon is there way
> to set the debugging level higher.
>
> would it be smbd -d9?

----
let's keep this on list - I'm leaving for a while anyway and someone
else is certain to give you answers as well

in smb.conf
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        log level = 10 # or whatever

getent passwd|grep bill # Is there a user bill?

smbpasswd -a bill # is there an smbpasswd user bill?

if both are true...

smbpasswd bill # should allow you to set a password for smb user bill

be sure to see documentation at
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/

the how-to and by-example are excellent docs

Craig