[Samba] 3.0.14a: print driver deletion w/ rpcclient

Keith Warno krjw at valaran.com
Fri Sep 2 16:39:44 GMT 2005

W/ Samba 3.0.14a I've installed an apparently buggy printer driver (for
a Brother HL1670N).  From a Win2kSP4 client:

- log into the samba server as me (the printer admin)
- go to Printers share
- right-click on printer, go to Properties
- it bitches about print driver not being installed, asks if I want to
install it, I click No
- go to Advanced tab, click New Driver
- proceed to add driver for printer
- click Apply
- Explorer (Exploder?) commits some "error" and will be "closed"

Strangely the printer can be added by win2k clients and printed to, but
when trying to access the Properties dialog it barfs with some useless
error: Function address 0x699044eb caused a protection fault... blah
blah

So I want to remove the printer drivers from the Samba server, and I
thought I could do this with rpcclient using 'deldriver':

rpcclient $> deldriver 'Brother HL-1650/1670N series'
Failed to remove driver Brother HL-1650/1670N series for arch [Windows NT x86] - error 0xbb9!
Failed to remove driver Brother HL-1650/1670N series for arch [Windows NT x86] - error 0xbb9!
result was WERR_UNKNOWN_PRINTER_DRIVER

WERR_UNKNOWN_PRINTER_DRIVER? hrmm.

Apparently the driver has to be unassigned from the printer?  How is
this done?

Thanks,
Keith
--