[Samba] Roots of Samba

kent kent at mail.wareham.mec.edu
Fri Sep 2 00:36:29 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a class of Linux/OpenSource newbies and want to explain the origins of
Samba as a typical Open Source project. My interest in Samba has grown, as well
as my implementation of Samba. I started with 3 users on one server and now have
~2300 users in 10 buildings using Samba w/LDAP backend in a public school
district.

Anyway, I can give them my perspective, but I want them to know what an Open
Source project is like. Andrew Tridgell is one of or the original developer. Can
anyone give me brief history to tell the class?

Thanks in advance.

Kent Nasveschuk
Open Source, alive and well in Wareham, MA...