[Samba] RPC Vamp + caps

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell julianpb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 15:39:02 GMT 2005

Hi all,

Am using RPC Vampire to pull accounts from an NT4 PDC to a Linux box.

The unit is connected as a BDC and vampire succeeds in extracting accounts on
the NT box but only those which  match the UNIX password parameters e.g.
lower case and staring with a letter.

Unfortunately, there are about 500 NT accounts that are witrh four digit
numbers or are capitalised.

I used a spreadsheet to drop the usernames to lower case and put an l in from
the numerical usernames to get them to work on Linux.

I have generated an smbusers file mapping the nam,es across in the form:

linux name = nt name

e.g.

l1000 = 1000
fred = FRED

etc.

but when vampire ruins it doesn't seem to see the usermap file. I have the
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

in smb.conf and vampire does everything it should other than these accounts.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Julian PB
Borden Grammar School