[Samba] LDAP compile problem (not the usual)

Oliver Neubauer oliver at netfirms.com
Thu Sep 1 13:01:33 GMT 2005

Hello all,

I'm trying to compile samba 3.0.20 on Freebsd 4.10 with ldap support.

The ./configure script fails because it can't find ldap.h:

<snip>
checking whether to use AFS fake-kaserver... no
checking whether to use DFS clear-text auth... no
checking for LDAP support... auto
checking ldap.h usability... no
checking ldap.h presence... no
checking for ldap.h... no
checking lber.h usability... no
checking lber.h presence... no
checking for lber.h... no
configure: WARNING: ldap.h is needed for LDAP support
checking for Active Directory and krb5 support... yes
configure: error: Active Directory Support requires LDAP support
<end>

The openLDAP include and lib files are in non-standard directories, but
I have CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS correctly set.
Here is a snippet from the script used to compile:

<snip>
LDFLAGS="-L$PREFIX/lib"                      \
&& CFLAGS="-I$PREFIX/include"                   \
&& CPPFLAGS="-I$PREFIX/include"                 \
&& ./configure                                  \
         --prefix=$PREFIX                        \
         --disable-xmltest                       \
         --with-krb5=$PREFIX                     \
         --with-quotas                           \
         --with-syslog                           \
         --with-winbind                          \
         --with-ads                              \
         --disable-cups                          \
         --with-pam                              \
         --with-readline                         \
         --with-sendfile-support                 \
         --without-libsmbclient                  \
         --without-python                        \
         --with-ldap                             \
&& make                                         \
&& make install
<end>

Of course, $PREFIX is correctly defined to the base dir of the
environment I'm installing to, and the libraries and includes are there
and readable by all.

I figure I'm either missing something really obvious <more coffee pls>
or something is broken in the configure script. Not being a big fan of
tracing m4 macros, I'd rather not have to delve too far into that. :)

Any suggestions?

Regards
Oliver