[Samba] Samba with LDAP -> Can't include Windows Client

Joachim Kieferle joakie at fab.fh-wiesbaden.de
Thu Sep 1 12:22:16 GMT 2005

Benjamin Nagel [sedo.de] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> at first sorry for my horrible englisch.
> My name is Benjamin Nagel and I had setup a lot of Samba Server, but
> untill now without LDAP as backend.
>
> My data:
> Suse 9.2
> Samba 3.0.9-2.3-SUSE
> OpenLDAP: slapd 2.2.15
>
> I had setup Samba and OpenLDAP like the IDEALX documentation. I can
> create a linux user with the smbldap-useradd script and I can login
> with this user.
> But when I want to include a Windows XP client I get a error.

[ ... ]

Dear Benjamin,

we have Samba running on SuSE 9.3. What we found out is that for the
machine accounts you MUST NOT use ou=computers BUT ou=people, that means
the same ou as you use for normal accounts. This phenomenon is also
somewhere described in the Samba by example tutorial.

At least in our environment this works.

Hope this helps,

best

Joachim