[Samba] ntlm_auth and high load fault

Vitaly Protsko villy at sft.ru
Thu Sep 1 11:40:56 GMT 2005

Hi!

Here is situation:

1. We decide to switch on "Auto proxy config" in our network (you know,
wpad.example.com, etc.)
2. After that there are lot of robots (checking for new versions, upgrading,
esp. M$ upg) on client
   computers start trying to fetch resources, but w/o any authentication (or
I dont understand what is going on :).
3. Result is unxepected: alot of "requests in queue" to ntlm_auth, because
of this squid restarts every
    2 min when in morning computers are going up. :(

Tech info:

Linux 2.6.11.12
glibc-2.3.5
gcc-3.4.4
samba-3.0.20, no patches
krb5-1.3.1 (MIT)
squid-2.5.10
ntlm_auth from samba pack

Joined to 2k3 AD.

My ideas about why this happens are exausted (all of them are unproductive
:).
ANYBODY, please, if you have similar, or heard about this situation, please
let me know.
May be some ideas about fighting against it?

Thnx in advance.
/aTan