[Samba] Adding static wins entries

Benjamin.Oeltze at fujitsu-siemens.com Benjamin.Oeltze at fujitsu-siemens.com
Thu Sep 1 11:29:49 GMT 2005

I have read, adding static wins entries should work without stopping and starting nmbd
I´ve tried this and it seems not to work for me.
We have Samba 3.0.14a-21 running on a SuSE SLES9.
If I add entries to the wins.dat when samba is running, nmblookup wont get a positive answer. After some time the wins.dat gets overwritten with the old wins.dat without the entries.

When I stop nmbd, add the entries and start nmbd nmblookup get a positive answer and th wins.dat stays there.

Is adding entries without restarting samba possible (maybe with a newer version)?

Benny