[Samba] Re: winbind capabilities

Jim Kusznir kusznir at eecs.wsu.edu
Mon Oct 31 23:50:52 GMT 2005

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Jim Kusznir wrote:
>
>> From what I undrestand, there is no feesable way of implementing winbind
>> in NSS and maintaining existing UID/GID mappings.
>

> AFAIK, If SFU is installed on your Windows AD domain controller, it
> will extend the schema to allow you to define UID/GID/homedir for
> winbind's use.  We're hopeing to use this soon, provided if I can ever
> get our AD admins to install SFU.
>
> -- Rex

SFU30 is installed, and has extended the schema.  We've been storing the
UID/GID in this schema.  My question is will winbind use that?  My
reading (from the samba howto) indicates that it does not; that we need
to use nss_ldap to resolve that information.  If we do, however, I also
understand we loose the ability to use windows groups, which is a major
issue for us.

Can anyone confirm or deny this information?  I know samba is a very
active project, and the howtos may not match the actual state of the
most current version.

Thanks!
--Jim