[Samba] WinBind Questions

Faulconer, Steven M steven.m.faulconer at lmco.com
Mon Oct 31 15:35:21 GMT 2005

Hello everyone,

I'm working on integrating the latest version of Samba (3.0.20b) into
our environment. I've been able to get the base of Samba working and
tied into our domain thanks to the HOWTO guide. I did have a quick
question though. In my smb.conf, I've got the tag 'winbind use default
domain = Yes' but when I run something like 'wbinfo -u' I see multiple
domains. I'm noticing some performance issues when looking at
permissions on the UNIX side as it translates things through winbind (my
assumption). I was wondering if the extra domains and the lookup
performance are tied together? Once the data is cached, it's very fast,
but that initial lookup may cause some issues for us. I imagine I am
doing something incorrectly, so any guidance would be greatly
appreciated.

My smb.conf file (run through testparm -s):
----------------- Begin -----------------
[global]
        workgroup = <DOMAIN>
        server string = Samba %v on %h
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = <password server ip>
        lanman auth = No
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        hostname lookups = Yes
        local master = No
        wins server = <wins server IP>
        idmap uid = 15000-20000
        idmap gid = 15000-20000
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        read only = No
        hosts allow = <network address>
        map archive = No
        mangled names = No
        include = /usr/local/samba/conf/smb.conf_<hostname of server>

[data]
        comment = Data Share
        path = /export/home/data

Running 'wbinfo -u' I get tons of entries, so an example would be:

<Domain1>/<UserA>
<Domain1>/<UserB>
<Domain1>/<UserC>
<Domain2>/<User1>