[Samba] printing from windows via smb print server

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Oct 29 20:08:48 GMT 2005

On Saturday 29 October 2005 04:48, Debbie Schiel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have two boxes running samba 3 on fedora2.
>
> Box A is the primary domain controller & smb file server and we (a primary
> school in QLD, Australia) can login from our windows 98 machines with samba
> verifying usernames & passwords.
>
> This week I've been trying to setup Box B as a print server (and eventually
> limit students' printing sprees). I've connected the HPLazerJet1000 printer
> and can print to it using cups from box B, and the printer is also 'shared'
> (I used the GUI).
>
> Then using webmin I added HPLaser as a share and I could see it in a
> windows browser but couldn't access it. I want to print from box B but
> usernames & passwords are on box A. So just to test I used a username from
> box B and it connects but doesn't print.
>
> I've done a lot of reading and googling, testing and trying, and this is my
> last resort - can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> How do you send usernames & passwords to the samba pdc from another samba
> server? Here is my smb.conf ..... (and 'frederick' is Box A, pdc)

Debbie,

There is no need to configure each printer in smb.conf, Samba automatically
makes CUPS printers available.

Suggest you follow the examples in my book "Samba-3 by Example". This book is
available in hard copy from Amazon.Com, or in one of the technical book
stores in Brisbane. Alternatively, you can download the PDF of my book from:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

I would suggest that chapter 2 is probably adequate to get your school up and
running. Each or chapters 1-5 of the book presents a network that gets more
complex. Chapters 1-5 are self-contained and include detailed step-by-step
instructions to help you to implement your network.

One last point: Most Linux distributions set restrictive permissions on
the /var/spool/samba directory. For Samba-based printing to work every user
must have write privilege to this directory. Setting the permissions as:

	chmod 1777 /var/spool/samba

should achieve that for you.

Cheers,
John T.