[Samba] printing from windows via smb print server

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sat Oct 29 11:27:12 GMT 2005

I'm a little uncertain about your question. You say you used the GUI. Is
this a Fedora thing or the Gnome or KDE tool? In any case, did you tell
it that you are using CUPS?

I'm also a little uncertain about your setup. It doesn't look like
you've joined the Domain that your PDC is controlling.  If your server
is not a member of the domain, I'm not sure if the authentication will
work. SWAT has a nice wizard for joining a domain.

Another concern is the permissions on /var/spool/samba. I use CUPS for
printing but since you are back with Windows 98, Samba makes some sense.
However, if Samba is using the local CUPS server, which I'd assume is
the case, does CUPS have permission to use use /var/spool/samba?

Finally, I note in my samba config that I've got lines like:
  printing = cups
  printcap name = cups
I think your printcap name is the default for bsd printing. Again, you
can use SWAT for sharing printers.