[Samba] Overloaded samba server. Is it a bug?

Martin Scandroli masc at intraredes.com
Sat Oct 29 04:56:31 GMT 2005

On Fri Oct 28 14:44:02 GMT 2005 Bruno Guerreiro wrote:

> I've made this question over and over, but still no answer till now.
> So here goes again, maybe I have better luck this time.
> Is there any limitation to the number of groups a samba user may
> belong?
> I've found out that if the user belongs to more than 60 to 70 groups,
> group-based share access stop working.
> From another post in this ml, i've found out that kernel 2.4.xx had a
> 32
> group membership limitation, but i'm using 2.6.xx which has a 65536
> groups
> limit.
> Is there any place in samba where I shoulb be looking?
> Any info/pointers would be much appreciated.

Have you check with getent command if your platform response correctly?
try "getent group <GROUP_WITH_A_LOT_OF_USERS_FROM_YOUR_LDAP_BACKEND>"
It should returns a members list like a line from /etc/group.

If it does not work, check your entry in nsswitch.conf and replace
"passwd compat" by "passwd ldap" (do the same for the group and maybe
for shadow)

Another thing you could try is use the recently "ldapsam:trusted = yes"
option... take care of the considerations to make it work!

Saludos,
Martín