[Samba] Overloaded samba server. Is it a bug?

Martin Scandroli masc at intraredes.com
Sat Oct 29 04:44:31 GMT 2005

On Oct 28, 2005 02:11 PM, MJBarber wrote:

> I am running Suse 9.2 Pro in a corporate environment with 3.0.14a and
> it works great.Just my 0.02...

Well, when Samba is running before the load begins to rise, it's around
0.50 (with aproximately 1000 users logued in and 500 in high activity)

> If you truly think this is a samba problem try a different version to
> either replicate the issue or to have it point to a different piece of
> the
> puzzle. What is your complete config?

We are using the Samba 3.0.20b because we need a new feature included in
this version. (SeTakeOwnerShipPrivilege) We haven't been able to use
root user as administrator of extended file system ACLs because the
ldapsam:trusted is preventing us from using it.
(NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)

> You said the load went sky high in a matter of seconds...do you see
> which
> process is running wild (smbd, nmbd, winbindd...).

We've done an strace to the partent process of all smbds (it follows all
the forks) and we didn't see nothing relevant.

Here is our smb.conf, and winbindd is not being used.

srvsmb02:~ # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = DOMAIN
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.10.6.130
netbios name = SRVSMBFS
netbios aliases = SRVSMBPS
ldap admin dn = cn=admin,o=domain
ldap suffix = ou=ar,o=domain
ldap group suffix = ou=grupos_openldap
ldap machine suffix = ou=maquinas
ldap timeout = 20000
idmap backend = ldap:ldap://10.10.6.130
idmap uid = 10000-40000
idmap gid = 10000-40000
unix charset = ISO8859-15
add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w %u
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
show add printer wizard = no
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = 10.10.6.75/24
username level = 15
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
ldapsam:trusted = yes
preferred master = yes
ldap ssl = no
wins support = yes
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
printcap cache time = 750
cups options = raw
map to guest = Bad User
logon path =
logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
logon drive = H:
os level = 255
log level = 3
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
cups server = 10.10.6.78
veto files =

/*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/aquota.user/aquota.group/.msprofile/lost+found/
hide files = /aquota.user/aquota.group/.msprofile/
enable privileges = yes
acl group control = yes
logon script = ARRANQUE.BAT
inherit owner = yes
inherit acls = yes
disable spoolss = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/machines/log.%m
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
browseable = No
read only = No
[profiles]
comment = Network Profiles Service
path = %H
read only = No
store dos attributes = Yes
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700
browseable = no
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/tmp
printable = Yes
create mask = 0600
browseable = No
[netlogon]
comment = netlogon service
path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
browseable = no
guest ok = ..................... Continue....

Thanks for your interest,
Martín