[Samba] Re: can smbmount access paths in shares?

Michael Barnes mbarnes at hcjb.org
Fri Oct 28 15:16:23 GMT 2005

Let me see if I understand this right.  You have a Windows box with a
share of (for example) D:\home\media.  You have gone to the D:\home
folder and selected full sharing.  However, from your Linux box, you
don't want to mount D:\home, you want to mount D:\home\media and not
have the contents of D:\home visible.  You can only use smbmount to
mount folders that are listed as a share.  Subfolders do not inherit the
sharability (?) of the parent.  Hence, you must set each folder you want
to mount as a share unto itself.  You do not have to set anything above
that folder as a share.  So, if you go into the properties of
D:\home\media and set the media folder to full share, you may then use
smbmount //servername/media /mnt/media/server/ to mount the media folder.

At least if I understand things right, this is how it works, at least it
has for me.  If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Michael

Magnus Holmgren told me on 10/28/2005 09:52: