[Samba] How does Samba handle unexpected disconnects?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 27 00:35:22 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 09:39 -0400, Paul Griffith wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been looking for infomation on how Samba handle rude
> disconnects. Here is the test....
>
> #1 - Login to Samba hosted Domain
> #2 - Turn off the computer; Turn the computer back on
> #3 - goto to step #1 and repeat
>
> Now at some point my login should fail...right?

It shouldn't.

> If I try the above steps, after the 5-6th power off I get 'XXXX'
> Domain not found!

That's odd.  Do you have a network trace?

> Questions....
>
> Does Samba kill the connection after the dead time has been reached
> assuming deadtime has been set?

Yes, but if you have rebooted the client then the OS may get to it
first.

> Does the OS timeout the TCP connnection and kill the connection ?
>
> Do these zombie connections limit or effect new connections?

The only effect these connections have is that they may still hold
locks, and we have been chasing some behaviour issues where a client
that is still live reconnects, but the old connection has the locks.

Andrew Bartlett