[Samba] 3.0.20b and Heimdal

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 27 00:31:58 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 12:40 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 03:35:41PM -0400, William Jojo wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone been able to get Heimdal 0.7.1 with Samba 3.0.20b to compile successfully without commenting out the __cplusplus stuff in include/includes.h? If I comment it out, it's fine on FC3. The Heimdal people are using "private" as a structure member name, so I know it's a Heimdal problem :-).
>
> I think you need to remove the __cplusplus change in Samba3 to make
> things compile.

Should we make this only for --enable-developer, given we don't control
what may be in system headers?

> > Also, should one be using Heimdal or MIT krb for use in 3.x?
> > I see much talk of Heimdal in Samba 4 and wondering where I should be
> > concentraing my education now and in the future. :-)

In terms of 'user experience', the administrator shouldn't see either
the MIT or Heimdal administration tools, and we are a fair way off from
even relying on system libs (so installing the right thing won't be a
concern).  As such, you won't see very much of either, except if you
start looking carefully at the code.

> Samba4 has integrated Heimdal as their KDC as the architecture
> is vastly easier to integrate than the MIT codebase (having
> the Heimdal author help with this also hasn't hurt :-).

It does make my life easier :-)

Andrew Bartlett