[Samba] Problems with LDAP authentication backend.

Robert.Becker at motoristsgroup.com Robert.Becker at motoristsgroup.com
Wed Oct 26 12:41:00 GMT 2005

Hello.

I am attempting to integrate Samba into our LDAP authentication and am
running into a few problems.  First, here is my current configuration:

[global]
        netbios name = SYSLOGSERVER
        workgroup=MOTOGROUP
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        ldap admin dn = cn=Administrator,dc=motogroup,dc=com
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.100.23.102/
        ldap delete dn = no
        ldap user suffix = ou=people
        ldap group suffix = ou=group
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap suffix = dc=motogroup,dc=com

        log level = 3
        syslog = 2

[eams]
        path = /syslog/eams

Either I do not understand how Samba impliments LDAP or there is something
wrong with my setup.  My LDAP implimentation is as follows.  The main LDAP
suffix is dc=motogroup,dc=com and there are OU's of people and group under
there.

Now, Samba is able to connect to the LDAP server, but it is not looking in
the right place for the user accounts.  If I attempt to run pdbedit -L I
get the following:
Searching for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=SYSLOGSERVER))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
Searching for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=SYSLOGSERVER))]
smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
ldapsam_setsampwent: 0 entries in the base!

What I see there is Samba is in SamaDomainName=SYSLOGSERVER for the user
accounts.  Since the accounts are not stored under that OU it isn't finding
anything.  I attempted to copy the OU=people and the OU=group to
SamaDomainName=SYSLOGSERVER but it still fails.

Anyone have any ideas why Samba is not finding the accounts?

Thanks a bunch.
-Rob Becker

The information contained in this message is confidential and is
intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error or there are any problems please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden. Motorists Insurance Group will not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages arising from the alteration of the contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.