[Samba] Re: permissions and properties of printers

milan andric search.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 06:31:55 GMT 2005

Milo <search.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, I am having problems with all my clients (windows 2K and 9x) that
> don't have rights to modify printer settings, like tray or page size. At
> least the problem is consistent across all machines! ;) They can not print
> 11x17 pages, they can not change from defaults. We set things up rather
> quickly without much attention to detail and are paying for it now. The
> print drivers were installed clients side manually, pointing the network
> printer install dialog to the drivers on a shared directory. We also setup
> cups using the howtos using lpadmin commands. I'm a bit confused how things
> are working and where to begin, any pointers are helpful. For the printer
> settings to propogate they must get passed to the printer somehow, but not
> sure where this data is going or what permission does not allow this.
>
> i have attached my smb.conf
>
> --
> Milan Andric

Looks like the attachment didn't take ... posting smb.conf.

  # Global parameters
[global]
	map acl inherit = Yes
	local master = Yes
	workgroup = DWS
	netbios name = SAMBA
	enable privileges = yes
	interfaces = 10.1.0.2
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
  #server string = Samba-LDAP PDC Server %v
	server string = Samba
	security = user
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	min passwd length = 3
	obey pam restrictions = No
  #unix password sync = Yes
  #passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd -u %u
  #passwd chat = "Changing password for*\nNew password*" %n\n "*Retype new
password*" %n\n"
	ldap passwd sync = Yes
	log level = 2
  #log level = 1
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  #max log size = 100000
	max log size = 0
	time server = Yes
	mangling method = hash2
	logon script = logon.bat
	logon drive = H:

	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 65
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
  # passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://127.0.0.1/ ldap://slave.exampledomain.com"
  # ldap filter = (&(objectclass=sambaSamAccount)(uid=%u))

  # DWS tweak
  # ldap admin dn = cn=samba,ou=Users,dc=exampledomain,dc=com
	ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=exampledomain,dc=com
	ldap suffix = dc=exampledomain,dc=com
	ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
	ldap user suffix = ou=Users
	ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
	ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users
  # DWS tweak, no ssl
  # ldap ssl = start tls
	add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
	ldap delete dn = Yes
	delete user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
	add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
	add group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd "%g"
	delete group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
	add user to group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
	delete user from group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
	set primary group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"

  # printers configuration
	printer admin = @"Print Operators" johnbob
	load printers = Yes
	create mask = 0640
	directory mask = 0750
	nt acl support = no
	printing = cups
	printcap name = cups
	deadtime = 10
	guest account = nobody
	map to guest = Bad User
	dont descend = /proc,/dev,/etc,/lib,/lost+found,/initrd
	show add printer wizard = yes
  ; to maintain capital letters in shortcuts in any of the profile folders:
	preserve case = yes
	short preserve case = yes
	case sensitive = no

[homes]
	comment = homedir of %U, %u
	read only = No
	create mask = 0644
	directory mask = 0775
	browseable = No

[netlogon]
	comment = Network Logon Service
	write list = root
	path = /home/samba/netlogon/
	browseable = No
	read only = yes

[profiles]
	path = /home/samba/profiles
	read only = no
	create mask = 0600
	directory mask = 0700
	browseable = No
	guest ok = Yes
	profile acls = no
	csc policy = disable
  # next line is a great way to secure the profiles
	force user = %U
  # next line allows administrator to access all profiles
	valid users = %U @"Domain Admins"

[printers]
	comment = Network Printers
	printer admin = @"Domain Users"