[Fwd: [Samba] [Problem] Samba v3 Errors when group and user exists with same name]

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Tue Oct 25 08:48:13 GMT 2005

Hi folks,

sorry for my 2nd post, but the last message seems to be corrupt.

it's not really an issue for me but could you please comment this
behaviour i described?

may be i can then open a bug report.

thx!

[Samba] [Problem] Samba v3 Errors when group and user exists with	same name]
hi,

i have a question, may be it's be design using samba v3.0.14a and
openldap v2.2.23:

users in dn: uid=xxx,dc=my,dc=domain
groups in dn: cn=yyy,ou=groups,dc=my,dc=domain

i have a user called "biblio" and a group called "biblio"
normally this is no problem under linux but samba seems to "emulate"
windows behaviour indirectly.

if i want to edit the group "biblio" with usrmgr.exe it fails because
samba is first looking for "uid=biblio", which succeeds, because there's
a user "biblio" and is then looking for a group with
"(&(objectclass=sambaSamAccount)(sambaSid=<SID-of-User-Biblio>))", which
fails because my group "biblio" has a different SID.

i cannot add/remove members to group "biblio" because of the described
behaviour above, too.

could you please tell me whether it's a bug or by design?
why is samba not looking for groups like
"(&(objectclass=posixGroup)(objectclass=sambaGroupMapping))" instead of
first looking for "(&(objectclass=sambaSamAccount)(uid=biblio))"???

thx very much!

--
Michael Gasch
Department of Human Evolution (IT)