[Samba] question about accessing XP login names within smb.conf

George wftd at isaskills.org
Tue Oct 25 03:04:55 GMT 2005

I don't want to maintain a list of userids in either Linux, or Samba. Our
PDC is a win 2000 box and all the userids are stored on that win 2000 box.
I'd like to store the "My Documents" folders on a Samba server and use %U to
map each student's "My Documents" to their directory on the Linux machine.

This works well in Win 98, but on the XP machine, instead of using the name
the student logged in with, Samba uses "guest" or "nobody" depending on how
I change the smb.conf file. I have applied the reg change for XP, and
enabled netbios over tcp/ip which were both suggestions I have read so far.
Anyway, the sytem details are:

Samba V 3.0.20

Linux kernel 2.4.22

Slackware 9.1.0

The XP is XP Pro with all latest Updates and SP's etc. My smb.conf file is:

[global]

   workgroup = ISASKILLS

   server string = Training

   load printers = yes

   log file = /var/log/samba

   max log size = 50

   security = share

   ssl CA certDir = /etc/ssl/certs

   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

[printers]

   comment = Canon Bubble Jet 265sp

   path = /var/spool/samba

   browseable = yes

   public = yes

   printer = bjc265sp

   guest ok = yes

   writable = no

   printable = yes

[ComPro]

  comment = Community Promotions

  browseable = no

  public = yes

  path = /var/shared/compro

  writable = yes

  printable = no

[Admin]

  comment = CommPro Admin

  browseable = no

  path = /var/shared/admin

  writeable = yes

  printable = no

  public = yes

[CDRom]

  comment = Shared CDRom

  browseable = yes

  public = yes

  path = /cdrom

  writeable = no

  printable = no

[Resources]

  comment = Computer Resources

  browseable = yes

  public = yes

  path = /var/shared/resources

  writeable = yes

  printable = no

[My Documents]

  comment = My Documents

  browseable = yes

  public = yes

  path = /var/shared/compro/%U

  writeable = yes

  printable = no

Any help or ideas would be muchly appreciated.

George Dau

wftd at isaskills.org

Mount Isa - Rodeo Capital of Australia