[Samba] Samba 3.0.14a-Debian, MySQL Backend, Migration Problem

Daniel Morlock daniel.morlock at morpheus-network.de
Mon Oct 24 16:06:26 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have an old system running Samba 3 with default passwd backend for about
30 users. Not I set up a new Samba 3.0.14a with mysql backend on another
machine. I'd like to migrate the users from old system to the new system! I
read through the official Samba HOWTOS and googled, but no useful concept of
migration found.

At the weekend I tested the following concept:

- Configure the new server as BDC for the old server
  => Join the domain: "net rpc join -S OLD_SERVER -w DOMNAME -U
Administrator%passwd"
  => Get the local SID with: "net rcp getsid"
  => Sync the old /var/lib/samba with the new /var/lib/samba
  => Sync the shared data and profiles
  => Sync /etc/passwd /etc/samba/smbpasswd /etc/group (Note: I decided to
set up a default passwd backend, and if this is running, I change to mysql
backend)

After I changed the smb.conf I restarted the servers and I become the
message from BDC: "become domain logon server for DOMAIN". The testparm
script tells me, that the smb.conf is set up correctly and it returns:
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC.

A quick test was successful, I can login / logout from a domain user account
on a windows xp station. Now I want to deactivate the old server and login
with only the new server, so I shutdown the old server. A further login is
working, BUT:

I can login / logout without problems, so the authentification with BDC only
is working! But I get the windows error message, that the group and user
policies are wrong and therefore windows creates a new local profile.

So my questions:
- Have someone an idea to fix this problem?
- Make my concept sense or does someone has a better concept?

I hope you can help me with my problem.
Regards,

Daniel Morlock