[Samba] Charset issue with Samba 3.0.* and AIX5.2 ML5

Julien Ailhaud ailhaud.julien at agora.msa.fr
Mon Oct 24 15:24:01 GMT 2005

Hey,

I have AIX5.2 running with en_US ( ISO8859-1) as charset (see smitty
shot bellow).

                                   Change/Show Cultural Convention,
Language, or Keyboard
  Primary CULTURAL convention                         ISO8859-1  English
(United States) [en_US]                          +
  Primary LANGUAGE translation                        ISO8859-1  English
(United States) [en_US]                          +

I installed samba 3.0.4.0 from Bullfreeware. It works, but I have a big
charset issue :

Files created with the old Samba2, and which have special char in their
filename (eg : é , ç , ... ) are now unreadable.
Special char are replaced by an unknow char (displayed like a pipe), and
are not accessible from, clients.

Here is the  [global] section of smb.conf where charset params are :

[global]
  display charset = UTF8
  unix charset = LOCALE

#unix charset = ASCII
#unix charset = UTF8
  dos charset = ASCII

I tested this,  useless :
- Without the dos charset  parameter, filenames are truncated on the
first special char.
- With dos charset = ISO8859-1 , same result that with ascii
- Compiled Samba 3.0.20b : special chars are replaced by underscores,
but ... files are readable ! :) .

Do someone have an idea ? How can I know exactly how my Samba 2  works
with charset on my machine ? The testparm doesn't give a lot of info
about charsets...

Thanks

Ce message est protégé par les règles relatives au secret des correspondances. Il est donc établi à destination exclusive de son destinataire. Celui-ci peut donc contenir des informations confidentielles. La divulgation de ces informations est à ce titre rigoureusement interdite. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci de le renvoyer à l'expéditeur dont l'adresse e-mail figure ci-dessus et de détruire le message ainsi que toute pièce jointe.

This message is protected by the secrecy of correspondence rules. Therefore, this message is intended solely for the attention of the addressee. This message may contain privileged or confidential information, as such the disclosure of these informations is strictly forbidden. If, by mistake, you have received this message, please return this message to the addressser whose e-mail address is written above and destroy this message and all files attached.