[Samba] %U and %u different between XP and Win98

George wftd at isaskills.org
Mon Oct 24 03:53:56 GMT 2005

I want to use %U to map My Documents to each individual's directory on the
Samba server. This is working fine in Win98 but in XP %U maps to "guest"
when I log in as "george". In Win98 %U comes across as "george".

I am running Samba V 3.0.20

Linux kernel 2.4.22

Slackware 9.1.0

All Win98 and XP machines are in a domain with the pdc on a different box
from the samba server (pdc is a windows 2000 box) I don't need the samba to
do any authentication, there is no smbpasswd file and no userids created in
/etc/passwd for the userids All the samba box needs to do is expand %U to
the login name used on the training PCs. BTW "isaskills" is the domain that
all the pcs (win98 and XP) are in, and authenticate to.  Each student needs
their own "My Documents" and it has to be on the samba server because they
sit at different PCs and move around etc. I can't put them on the win2000
pdc because of problems with backups and archives of student data on that
server. The userids are created on the win2000 pdc.  I can see that samba is
trying to use "guest" when I look in the log file, I see this:

[2005/10/24 12:55:06, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(633)

  '/var/shared/compro/guest' does not exist or is not a directory, when
connecting to [My Documents]

Here is my smb.conf file.

[global]

   workgroup = ISASKILLS