[Samba] passdb backend = guest ?

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Sat Oct 22 15:31:30 GMT 2005

On Friday 21 October 2005 11:50 am, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> It's builtin.  DOn't mess with it.  There's a reason
> its not documented.  And you cannot remove it.

Jerry,

Sorry. I'm confused here.

Don't mess with it. In what context?
Don't remove it. From where? And under what circumstances?

Are you referring only to the smb.conf for "guest servers"?

What about distros that ship a default config with: "passdb backend =
tdbsam guest"? If you're not building a guest server is this value
useful?
What about distros that ship a default config without the value
"guest" ("passdb backend = tdbsam").
Is one broken?

If it's a valid value in any scenario then what exactly is the reason it
is not documented? How else would we know if it is a valid value and
then when and when not to use it?

Chris