[Samba] can smbmount access paths in shares?

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:12:47 GMT 2005

Can a linux machine running samba mount a pathname within a share into a
local path?  I'm runing samba-3.0.20b-1 on a centos 4.1 (rhel4) box.

I've tried this and it fails:

smbmount //servername/home/media /mnt/media/server/ -o
username=myuser,password=mypass

The error is:
8465: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid
share name)

When I omit the last portion of the service path it works just fine:
smbmount //servername/home /mnt/media/server/ -o
username=myuser,password=mypass

Trouble is, I don't want to mout the 'root' of the share, I want to mount a
subdirectory within it.

On a w2k box this syntax works fine:  'net use m: \\server\home\media' and
it properly mounts the path as the m: drive.  I do recall that win9x boxes
could not mount subdirectories of shares.  Is samba likewise crippled?

So what gives here?  Can smbmount not mount from a pathname within a
service?  Or am I missing the n necessary magical command line incantation?

Thanks,
-Bill Kearney