[Samba] Re: Please help me with migration to MS Windows 2003

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Thu Oct 20 15:26:46 GMT 2005

Replying on list so others may help or benefit...

Arne,

It's been a while since I've done one of these migrations, but here's a
couple of things to try:

- Make sure the clients' primary DNS server is an Active Directory
Integrated DNS (in a single-DC environment, the DNS is usually the same
machine as the W2K3 domain controller)

- In the clients' Advanced TCP/IP parameters, make sure that the "DNS
Suffix for this connection" is BLANK

- From a workstation, make sure you can log into the SAMBA domain with
the username "Administrator", AND THAT you have administrative rights to
all domain and local resources with that login.

- Turn on auditing in the destination domain. This can be done with the
domain group policy editor.

- Read the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 322970 --
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322970 -- "How to Troubleshoot
Inter-Forest sIDHistory Migration with ADMTv2"

Hope this helps.

--Jon Johnson
jon at sutinen.com
www.sutinen.com