[Samba] [Problem] Samba v3 Errors when group and user exists with same name

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Thu Oct 20 07:44:43 GMT 2005

hi,

i have a question, may be it's be design using samba v3.0.14a and
openldap v2.2.23:

users in dn: uid=xxx,dc=my,dc=domain
groups in dn: cn=yyy,ou=groups,dc=my,dc=domain

i have a user called "biblio" and a group called "biblio"
normally this is no problem under linux but samba seems to "emulate"
windows behaviour indirectly.

if i want to edit the group "biblio" with usrmgr.exe it fails because
samba is first looking for "uid=biblio", which succeeds, because there's
a user "biblio" and is then looking for a group with
"(&(objectclass=sambaSamAccount)(sambaSid=<SID-of-User-Biblio>))", which
fails because my group "biblio" has a different SID.

i cannot add/remove members to group "biblio" because of the described
behaviour above, too.

could you please tell me whether it's a bug or by design?
why is samba not looking for groups like
"(&(objectclass=posixGroup)(objectclass=sambaGroupMapping))" instead of
first looking for "(&(objectclass=sambaSamAccount)(uid=biblio))"???

thx very much!

--
Michael Gasch
Department of Human Evolution (IT)