[Samba] Samba 3.0.21pre1 Available for Download

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Oct 19 21:06:43 GMT 2005

Robert Schetterer wrote:
| Hi Jerry ,
|
| Incompatibilities with newer MS Windows hotfixes,
| what kind of hotfixes exactly?
| is there an more detailed faq about this and thenice new features
| online...or in soures?

The one line summary is that now we have unified the
authentication mechanisms used by the session setup code
and the rpc bin code so that you should no longer see
"unknown auth type 0x9" when dealing with SPNEGO in
rpc bind requests.  And we have complete NTLMv2 support
through the CIFS and RPC layers in Samba now.

What we are still dealing with is the schannel changes in
Windows 2003 sp1 and Windows 200 SP4 SR1.  Those winbindd
issues will be fixed soon.  But maybe not in time for 3.0.21.

WRT to the other features (service control and eventlogs),
we working on some HOWTOs.

I can summarize the ServiceControl stuff like this

$ net groupmap set sid=S-1-5-32-544 unixgroup=admingrp

add 'svcctl list = cups' to smb.conf

$ cd /usr/local/samba/lib (assuming default install)
$ mkdir svcctl
$ cd svcctl
$ ln -s /etc/init.d/cups

Now connect using the service control applet (or MMC
plugin to manage remote computers) using an account
that is a member of the admingrp Unix group.  You
should see some internal services and the "CUPS"
service listed.  You should be able to start and
stop the cups service  using the Windows tools.

cheers, jerry

cheers, jerry