[Samba] Phantom competing domain master browser

David Maier dave at bardacious.com
Wed Oct 19 05:15:59 GMT 2005

Snip

Joe Cipale wrote:

> Did you check your /etc/network/interfaces file?
>
> ALso, do a /sbin/ifconfig -a. Look for the 'phantom IP address'. My
> guess is one of those two places will find it.
> Once you do, as su, execute an ifdown <ethx>. From the services app,
> you should be able to list what ethernet
> ports are 'active' and disable as needed.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Joe

I checked both.  I deleted the old interface file, and the ifconfig only
reports eth0, lo and sit0, and the IP addresses are all correct.

The nmbd.log file shows that it's trying to become "domain master
browser on workgroup BARDACIOUS, subnet UNICAST_SUBNET." And that's
where it's finding the old IP address and existing master browser.  It
repeats the process every two or three minutes.  I'm not sure where to
find the unicast subnet.  I've been all over dhcpd.conf to see if
there's something there but I haven't found it.

Dave