[Samba] Samba3.0.4: Troubles with charset

Carli Cathomen carli.cathomen at zurich.com
Tue Oct 18 18:35:52 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a samba 3.0.4 installation on AIX 5.2 ML05. Trying to establish
Samba with special character support for Italian language I have some
troubles in displaying them

in smb.conf I was not able to put CP850, so I put in
      # Global parameters
      [global]
                  dos charset = UTF8
                  display charset = UTF8

      checking with testparm -sv it looks fine
            # testparm -sv |grep charset
               Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
               Loaded services file OK.
                       dos charset = UTF8
                       unix charset = UTF8
                       display charset = UTF8

the charset directory
# ls -l /usr/local/samba/lib/charset
total 944
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     system       241137 Jun 03 2004  CP437.so
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     system       241017 Jun 03 2004  CP850.so

In the logfile I see the following error
log.smbd:  Locale charset 'ISO8859-1' unsupported, using ASCII instead
log.smbd:  Probing module 'ISO8859-1'
log.smbd:  Probing module 'ISO8859-1': Trying to load from
/usr/local/samba/lib/charset/ISO8859-1.so
log.smbd:  Error loading module
'/usr/local/samba/lib/charset/ISO8859-1.so': A file or directory in the
path name does not exist.
log.smbd:  Locale charset 'ISO8859-1' unsupported, using ASCII instead

What am I missing here?

Regards
Carli

This message, along with any attachments, may be confidential or legally
privileged.  It is intended only for the named person(s), who is/are the
only authorized recipients. If this message has reached you in error,
kindly destroy it without review and notify the sender immediately. Thank
you for your help.