[Samba] Roaming Profiles & oplocks problems

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Oct 17 03:51:15 GMT 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 08:41:35PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 12:12:47AM +0100, Rob Mason wrote:
> >
> > Well, as I thought there was no LAN 'issue' as such.  I've swapped cables, NICS,
> > switches - and used the cross-over cable straight between the server and
> > a client.
> >
> > However, I believe I have diagnosed the fault.  I've been monitoring
> > some of the traffic using my laptop and have inadvertently logged into
> > the domain as a domain user from my laptop - it worked fine.  This got
> > me to thinking that the problem may be related to the ghosted images on
> > the XP clients (yes I generated a new SID).  At first I thought it could
> > be the NIC drivers, so I changed one of the 3coms to a Intel.  This
> > didn't chnage anything.  The only other hardware common to all clients
> > was the video card - an NVIDIA TNT2 M64.  A quick Google on 'NVIDIA
> > samba roaming profiles' got me:
> >
> > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=269732
> >
> > After removing the NVIDIA driver from my test client the problem
> > completely vanished!  Go figure!  I'm completely at a loss for words.
> > Why video driver software would affect SMB comms is completely baffling.
> > I've put this one down to experience and will in future test hardware
> > combinations prior to adding into the LAN.
> >
> > Thanks for all the help and guidance, it was truly appreciated.  And I
> > guess it was a network issue in the end!!!
>
> Wow that's incredibly weird ! I wonder how the NVidia driver affects
> the SMB stack ? Windows truely is a nasty mess of twisty passages :-).

Just as an update look at this page :

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/28bc0e7084207096/c7178db6ed9133f8%23c7178db6ed9133f8?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=0&num=3

It happens against Windows servers too. The Microsoft premium
support suggestion - "wipe and reinstall" :-) :-).

I'm feeling really bitter about Windows at the moment. I had to *PHYSICALLY REMOVE
A DISK* from a spyware infected Windows 2000 box and mount on a clean
Linux box to remove a "rootkit" level driver from the spyware in order
to delete it..... What a waste of a saturday night !

Jeremy.