[Samba] Samba as a Multiple Domain Controller on a complex setup

Carlos Oliva G. carlos.oliva at igloo.cl
Fri Oct 14 16:48:31 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I've run across this problem before but this time it's a rather
complicated setup.

a. We have a long list of local users, all of them resident at the
system level /etc/passwd, and on three different primary groups (each
of these groups corresponds to what needs to be a different Windows
Domain)

b. Some of these users will actually belong to more than one Domain,
meaning that user 'joe' will be a regular user at domain1 and an
administrator at domain2 but with no access at all to domain3

c. All of these users and domains will reside on the same, single
machine

d. The LAN is segmentated into 3 different IP networks, but they all
share the same 'cable'

e. The LAN(s) and the Samba DC are in different _physical_ networks,
with a Linux router/fw in between them, that also gives access to the
Internet link and to an external VPN. So network logons into the
Samba Server must work across subnets.

                         (Internet link)

                               eth0

+-------+                  +---+----+
| Samba |                  |  Linux |
|  Box  +-eth0--------eth2-+ router +-eth3------( LAN )
+-------+                  |   FW   |
                            +--------+

                               eth1

                            (VPN link)

So far I've come with the following solution:

In the FW/Router box, the eth3 physical interfaces has 4 aliased,
virtual interfaces, one for each of the three LAN segments (which
will correspond to a different Windows Domain) plus what will be a
public, DHCP assigned network: 10.1.0.0/24 (domain1), 10.2.0.0/24
(domain2), 10.3.0.0/24 (domain3), 10.4.0.0/24 (public).

In the Samba box, the eth0 physical interface has also been aliased
to 4 virtual interfaces, one for each Samba Domain Controller for
each domain, plus one public fileserver for common access between my
4 networks: 10.0.1.1 (DC1), 10.0.2.1 (DC2), 10.0.3.1 (DC3) and
10.0.4.1 (public).

For the latter to work I also had to create the corresponding aliased
interfaces to the eth2 physical interface of the FW/Router, as I want
it to be the one that makes all the routing and filtering (instead
of, say, route all traffic to the different DCs networks to the Samba
box and enable routing there).

My idea is to run a different instance of Samba for each of these
DCs, on a single virtual interface, with a different root directory
and both config and runtime files for each one of them. To do that
I've used the following smb.conf directives on the global section:

  root directory
  pid directory
  log file
  private dir
  smb passwd file

However, there are still some files being created and mantained in a
generic location (namely tdb files like /var/lib/samba/) for which I
can't seem to find a configuration directive, so I've tried changing
to a smbpasswd backend on the DCs. But for cross-network browsing
(and authenticacion) to work I need to make each of the DC instances
of samba to work as a WINS server for its own domain, however the
WINS database is also being shared between them (at /var/cache/samba/
wins.dat, along with browse.dat on the same location).

I haven't been able to isolate those files and I don't know how
'hazardous' could it be for them to be shared by the different Samba
instances (but common sense tells me that it isn't a good idea to do
so), so I thought of enabling a generic WINS server instance of Samba
(say, the public one at 10.0.4.1) for all of the Domains, and point
each of the DC instances to it, but I don't know if that WINS server
can be accessed/shared from different workgroups/domains

I have thought as a last resource to create a true chroot environment
for each of the Samba instances to run in there, but for the sake of
maintenance I'd prefer to avoid that unless it's the only possible
solution.

I'd like to hear of your comments and recommendations on this
situation, if this is the optimal solution or if it's possible to
create a better environment that suits these needs.

Best regards,

--
Carlos Oliva G.
Igloo Sistemas Ltda.