[Samba] mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = No such file or directory

E. Dandrades eddie at dandrades.org
Fri Oct 14 02:51:24 GMT 2005

Alright, so Here is the relevant info:

FreeBSD insomniac.normal1.net 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #2: Sun Sep 25 14:30:27 PDT 2005     root at insomniac.normal1.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/INSOMNIAC  i386

insomniac# pkg_info | grep samba
samba-3.0.20,1      A free SMB and CIFS client and server for UNIX
insomniac#

Alright, So I have four samba clients (2 'nix, 1 mac and 1 windows). The windows machine I was able to get going rather easily (amazing, cause I've had hell with it in the past). Anywhom, I've tried to get the two nix machines connected to the samba server and I get the following error message:

strange# mount_smbfs -I 10.0.0.1 //user at insomniac/share /share ; pwd
Password:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = No such file or directory
/share
strange#

Here's the smb.conf:
[global]
; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
; guest account = nobody
   log file = /var/log/smb/samba-log.%m
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba
   share modes = yes
   interfaces = 10.0.0.1/8
   workgroup = DANDRADESGROUP
   NetBios Name = ANDTHEN
   server string = File Serving on %s since 1999
   security = user
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         browseable = no
         public = yes
         guest ok = yes
         writable = no
         printable = yes[print$]
         comment = Printer Drivers
         path = /etc/samba/drivers
         browseable = yes
         guest ok = yes
         read only = yes

[public]
	comment = Public Storage
	path = /storage/share
	public = yes
 	writable = yes
   	printable = no
   	guest ok = no
   	write list = @members
   	inherit permissions = yes
   	create mask = 0664
   	directory mask = 0775

; If samba is case sensitive when looking for files
    case sensitive = no

    ; Default case of files that are createddefault case = lower

    ; Preserve case for all filenames
    preserve case = yes

    ; Preserve case for dos (8.3) filenames
    short preserve case = no

I know a lot of these options are deprecated, but really all I wanna do is find out what in the world is causing that error message.. well for now cause my printer isnt shared on windows, but thats another post