[Samba] Strange error.

James Kosin jkosin at intcomgrp.com
Thu Oct 13 14:48:02 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> James Kosin wrote:
>
> | Anyway samba could display a better log message saying
> | that was the problem? I've always found the numbers
> | rather cryptic although interesting. Just a suggestion.
>
> I think it's actually better to display the name the client sent.
> Makes debugging cleaner. The client actually tried to connect to
> \\server\::{2227a280-3aea-1069-a2de-08002b30309d}
>
> You'd get the same message if someone tried to connect to
> \\server\foo and there was no [foo] in your smb.conf.
> Except the message would then say
>
> james (192.168.100.158) couldn't find service foo
>

> cheers, jerry
> Alleviating the pain of Windows(tm) ------- http://www.samba.org
> GnuPG Key ----- http://www.plainjoe.org/gpg_public.asc
> "There's an anonymous coward in all of us." --anonymous

Thanks,

That makes sense; but why not something like:
  \\server\::{shared-printers-folder}

or something more appropriate instead of the long complex (In my
terms) numbers.
Unless those numbers need to be setup in samba as the share name or
something.

Say having a lookup table to replace with more human readable terms
and default to the GUID numbers when we don't actually have a lookup
may be another approach.

James Kosin
- --
- --
James Kosin

International Communications Group, Inc.
230 Pickett's Line
Newport News, VA  23603-1366
- - United States of America -

Phone: 1(757)947-1030 ext. 122
Fax  : 1(757)947-1035

- --
GPG Fingerprint: 28E9 6487 34B2 18DD 6468 F091 8CD9 2038 DEB0 0590
GPG Key ID:     0xDEB00590