[Samba] Winbind problem - 3.0.20a and NT4 domain

bdehn at oreillyauto.com bdehn at oreillyauto.com
Thu Oct 13 14:26:59 GMT 2005

Jerry,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for everything you do for
Samba!

After "banging my head on the wall" for several days I wiped out the Linux
system and started over. I setup the system like I had before and
continued to have the same problem. After looking at the logs from the
first attempt again (and again and again....) there was a clue about PAM
being the problem. I have to admit that I didn't fully understand how PAM
interacted with winbind and how CRUCIAL it's configuration was in the
authentication process (even for enumerating shares). I poured over The
Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide (again) and followed it's lead
to PAM configuration. I thought that I had done the same with the original
configuration but apparently not. After my changes to PAM, miraculously
things are working :O).

Bob Dehn