[Samba] Winbind is DISCONNECTED after restart

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Oct 13 13:07:37 GMT 2005

Peter Åstrand wrote:

| I'm experiencing a strange problem on one RHEL4 system
| with Samba 3.0.20a. After restarting the Samba
| and Winbind services, the domain connection doesn't
| work any longer:
|
| # wbinfo --sequence
| HA02 : 1
| BUILTIN : 1
| CRT : DISCONNECTED
|
| Before restarting, I got:
|
| # wbinfo --sequence
| CRT : 254

What does a level 10 debug log from winbindd say?  grep
for the string "SEQUENCE".

| The strange thing is that if I remove /etc/samba/secrets.tdb
| before (re)starting Samba, this problem goes away.
| Another really strange thing is that things works
| correctly on an identical machine. The PDC is
| running "Windows Server 2003 3790 Service Pack 1".

removing secrets.tdb deletes the machine trust account
password so winbindd has no membership in the domain
any more.  It's like a user that fogets his or her password.

| Any ideas? Our smb.conf looks like:
|
| [global]
|    workgroup = CRT
|    password server = *
|    security = domain

You read the WHATSNEW relating to security=domain and
active directory right?

cheers, jerry
"There's an anonymous coward in all of us."               --anonymous