[Samba] Sharing Problems: huge numbers of share

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Oct 12 22:13:24 GMT 2005

Hi,
first off all
upgrade to the last samba Version.
It should be no problem which "nix" you use.
Take care that theres no bottleneck about
nics and switches, bad wiring, firewalling  etc.
keep care of your storage speed.
Use perfomance parameters of samba on the nics.
use more nics and bind smb to it.
last but not least , use a well organized sharing structure
for the files ( is use group shares ) , think of using mirrors via rsync
to other samba servers.
For more info you have to get in more details i.e which kind
of files do you share ....ie. a lot of small files in one directory etc
post your smb.conf, what does your samba logs say, have you any
antivirus/firewall on the server or on the clients
Best Regards

Olivier Gaspard schrieb:
| Hi,
|
| 	My name is Olivier Gaspard, and I work for the CHC Belgium (IT
| department of differents Hospitals).
|
| 	So, let's me introduce the situation: for the moment, the firm works
| with Win NT for the users profiles, and Samba 3.0 on Unix platform for
| the "files sharing". Resuming : Every users having a user (NT) profile
| (roamming profile) and have a private directory on this Samba server.
| So, in many case, a lot of directories are created in addition to share
| documents between differents users. Time after time, sharing after
| sharing, we have for now more than three thousands sharing on the Samba
| server!! So, the problem (big for the firm) is that one: every night, we
| have to reboot the server because of saturation of the samba service. In
| addition, if we reload the samba.conf during the day (lot of
| transactions in use), the server crash (100% CPU).
|
| 	My question is that one: Which server(s)/samba(s) architecture we have
| to applicate for managing all of these sharing concurrently without any
| crash ;-)! Is it possible to replicate/duplicate/(other) the samba
| service for resolve the problem?
|
| 	How big enterprise do with managing their samba servers?
| => Which are the processus/installations to manage with samba lot of
| sharing? Is better to use samba on AIX or UNIX?
|
| 	If you have examples, contacts or solutions, they are welcome!!
|
| 	Thanks a lot for all that informations and responses,
|
| 	Olivier.
|
| --
| Olivier Gaspard <olivier.gaspard at chc.be>
| Service informatique CHC ASBL <http://www.chc.be>
|
| Thanks to avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments
| http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
| (Please use Txt, HTML or PDF attachments)

- --
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Best Regards
Robert Schetterer