[Samba] Downgrade from 3 to 2 suggestions

Stephen Carville effcee at heronforge.net
Wed Oct 12 19:09:20 GMT 2005

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 10:22:16AM -0700, Stephen Carville wrote:
>
>>After considerable experimentation I'm forced to accept that Samba 3 has
>>problems with the combination of being a domain member, the 2.6 kernel,
>>and Dell 2850 hardware.  It works fine on the 2.4 kernels but fails on
>>all the 2.6 versions I have avaialble for testing.  I have one machine
>>that I really prefer could stay at 2.6 so my last resort there is to try
>>a downgrade to samba 2.X
>>
>>In the past samba has always 'just worked' so I have no experience at
>>tuning the samba version to the kernel version.  The system I need to
>>downgrade is 2.6.11.  Any advice which version of samba will work on
>>that kernel version?
>

> What makes you think it's a problem with kernel version ? Can you
> give us more info ?
>
> Jeremy.

One system with samba 3.0.7 and kernel 2.4.21 works;

$ testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[tomcat]"
Processing section "[www]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = TOTALFLOOD
        server string = Staging Server
        security = DOMAIN
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        os level = 33
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        wins server = 192.168.124.10
        hosts allow = 192.168.124., 127.
        cups options = raw

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[tomcat]
        path = /var/jakarta
        valid users = stephen, paul, apeltier, thuy
        force user = tomcat
        force group = apache
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[www]
        path = /var/www
        valid users = stephen, paul, apeltier, thuy
        force user = tomcat
        force group = apache
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

I can connect from W2K, XP and Linux using smbclient.

Samba 3.0.10 (current), 3.0.8, and 3.0.7 with 2.6.11. (I'm still fiddlng
with the confuration so it's different than the above):

$ testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[netapps]"
Processing section "[common]"
Processing section "[public]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

# Global parameters
[global]
        unix charset = LOCALE
        workgroup = TOTALFLOOD
        server string = Main File Server
        security = DOMAIN
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log level = 1
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        smb ports = 139
        name resolve order = wins bcasts hosts
        load printers = No
        wins server = 192.168.124.10
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        template primary group = "Domain Users"
        template shell = /bin/bash
        admin users = stephen, paul
        hosts allow = 192.168.124., 127.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        browseable = No

[netapps]
        comment = Network Applications
        path = /export/netapps
        force user = procman
        force group = users
        read only = No

[common]
        comment = Common Files
        path = /export/common
        force group = users
        read only = No
        create mask = 0775
        force create mode = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        force directory mode = 0775

[public]
        comment = Public Files
        path = /export/public
        force user = procman
        force group = users
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774

I get invalid username or password on Windows,  From smbclient I get
"session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE."

I guess it could be some library so blaming the kernel may be premature.
 I've followed the instructions in Chapter 7 of "Samba-3 by Example"
pretty closely tho.

--
Stephen Carville -- polluting the ranks of skeptics since 1995.