[Samba] Mixing share and user?

Bob Cohen bcohen at bpecreative.com
Wed Oct 12 13:47:16 GMT 2005

John Mazza wrote:

>Try to do a chmod -R 777 /home/public -- it's possible that filesystem permissions are not right.  Also try adding these lines to the definition
>for the "public" share as well.
>
>force group = public
>read only = No
>create mask = 0777
>directory mask = 0777

Thanks John.  I gave it a try.  No dice.  The only way that users on the
Windows network see the "public" share is after successfully accessing
their account on the Linux box.  Once that happens, users have free
reign of the directory.  What I'm trying to do is eliminate the need to
log into their Linux account for the "public" share only.  Can I flip
the security and specify share in general and user the directories in Home?

e.g.,

global]
        workgroup = home_office
        netbios name = DEXTERLAKE
        server string = NBTAFileServer
        security = share
                        ^^^^ Changed from user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        guest account = public
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        guest ok = yes

[public]
        comment = For Lighthouse and general NBTA User data
        guest ok = yes
        force user = public
        path = /home/public/public
        writeable = yes