[Samba] Mixing share and user?

Bob Cohen bcohen at bpecreative.com
Tue Oct 11 23:40:46 GMT 2005

Hi,

My goal is to set up the server so that one directory acts like a
windows share that

(1) does not require any log in information to gain access
(2) Can be viewed from a windows box and selected using map network drive.

At the the same time, I also want to set up private space on the disk
that does require an authorized user, username and password for access.

My set up (see smb.conf below), as currently written, helps me
accomplish the second goal.  But not the first.  As I'm looking at this,
it occurs to me that the problem is that the "open to all" director is
within the /home directory tree.  Is there a way to make an exception to
the security = users directive specified in [global]?  Or should I place
it in another directory altogether.

The "open to all" directory will contain two things: files shared by
everyone on the network and data for a custom database which is accessed
by client-type applications distributed across the network.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bob

smb.conf.

[global]
        workgroup = home_office
        netbios name = DEXTERLAKE
        server string = NBTAFileServer
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        guest account = public
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        guest ok = yes

[public]
        comment = For Lighthouse and general NBTA User data
        guest ok = yes
        force user = public
        path = /home/public/public
        writeable = yes