[Samba] problems with samba 3 and termnal server

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Oct 11 16:12:07 GMT 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:20:41AM +0200, Lorenzo Pilotti wrote:

> a customer currently uses a Suse 9.2 pro with the last version of Samba to
> share a folder containing data for an Enterprise Management program (Windows
> based).
>
> everything works fine with local clients (many 98s and 1 XP machine).
>
> we have some (15) clients connecting to the ERP program via a Terminal Server
> (Windows2K server). these clients often stuck in some requests for 5 to 15
> minutes (randomly) and then unlock and continue working.

Clients usually time out after 30 seconds. What is happening on the wire
between terminal server and Samba during that time ?

> note that:
> - the same folder on a Win2000 machine works fine (ie. no stucks)
> -> this means it is a samba problem
> - local clients work find
> -> this means it is a terminal-server-related problem
>
> i thought it was something related to oplocks and i have disabled them (level
> 1 AND level 2) but the problem is still here.
>
> now I ***suppose*** this is something like:
> - samba receives many connections from the same IP (the terminal server)
> and has problems de-mux-ing the requests...
>
> any ideas???????????

It's possible to set a registry setting that causes TS to open a new
SMB connection for every logged on user, this should help if the problem
is requests getting stuck in smbd's single threaded queue. The TS client
has some multi-threaded synchronisation problems that Microsoft could only
solve by going back to the (sensible) multi-connection model. They only
changed to single-connection to screw Samba over in a big account anyway
(the honest and sad truth :-).

You can look up the registry setting on MSDN, or someone on the list may
have it to hand.

Jeremy.