[Samba] Re: guest share not working (for disabled/locked/machine accounts)

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Oct 11 12:12:39 GMT 2005

Rex Dieter wrote:

>> Unforatunately, it appears that when local machine try to use the
>> share for software deployment, they are also accessing it as the local
>> Administrator account.

> More snooping determined this not to be the case, but that the "Local
> System" account is used for access creditials.

Turns out the machines in question attempt to access the samba share
using their "machine" account in AD, and it appears samba has a problem
with this based on the plethora of these entries I'm seeing in samba's logs:

[2005/10/09 15:30:24, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(250)
   Username DOMAIN\MACHINE-1$ is invalid on this system

Now to go off to look in smbd/sesssetup.c to see what criteria is used
to determine if a username is "invalid" or not.

-- Rex